6.09.2011

Dale Carnegie Experience

This week I spent three days attending a Dale Carnegie class with a few coworkers. It was quite the eye-opening experience and I'm very grateful I had the chance to go.

There were many many topics covered in the short three day span. I think the biggest thing I took away from it was the importance of listening. I've always considered myself at least a decent listener. When the situation called for it, of course I was very attentive; however, this class taught me that I need to listen all the time.

You never know when someone just needs to vent or just talk. There are few people that I will just sit and listen to them talk. Lately though, I feel I've done a lot of listening. A lot of people in my life are dealing with stresses and struggles. I wish they could take this class and see that every problem has a solution. You  just have to slow down and think about it. I've always handled stress well. I do feel like I worry too much sometimes. A lot of worry is out of my control, yet I'll sit there and that's the only thing I can think about.

Stress makes you negative. It's written in your face, it's in the tone of your voice and those that are close to you can just tell by your overall demeanor. It turns you into a little monster that you normally aren't. I've been there too. I think I'm better at handling others' stresses more so than my own. When something happens that stresses you out, just stop and take a deep breath. Think about what is the absolute worst possible thing that could happen from this, and if it were to happen is it really even THAT bad?? Then think about all the possible solutions, and come up with a plan of action. It's much easier to deal with things when you break them down and see them for what they really are--small things!

I feel like all I do is listen and lend a helping hand these days. Everyone's got problems and I'm not sure why, but usually everyone comes to me for help. On a case by case basis, it's not that bad. I love helping people--especially the people I love because I feel like that is one way I can show them how much they mean to me. Sometimes I feel like no one listens to me though. Not even that...people get so wrapped up in their own shit that they forget to even bother to ask simple things like "How are you? Did you have a good day? Tell me about your day..."

I don't mind listening...you can pour it on me and pour it on me, but don't forget about me. I have things going on too. Things that I want to talk about, but sometimes don't get the chance to because the person I'm listening to or helping out doesn't take the time to listen back.

It's a frustrating thing, but I'm just going to keep listening. The beautiful thing about a blog is that it's always here to listen and to allow you to vent. I'm much better at writing out my frustrations, rather than addressing them first hand and possibly arguing. Another Carnegie principle...avoid arguments. Where do they get you? Nowhere.

--

It feels like Friday and man I wish it was!!!  Instead I've got basketball practice. All I want to do is go home and finish my bathroom and just relax. This week, while enlightening, has also been exhausting. I've absorbed a lot, learned a lot, listened to a lot, helped a lot and thought and processed a ton. This is when I wish Sarah was there to catch my head on her shoulder and just feel that comfort...even for just half a second would refresh me. That luxury is coming sooner rather than later I feel. I can't wait.

"Circle me and the needle moves gracefully
Back and forth, if my heart was a compass you'd be North
Risk it all cause I'll catch you if you fall
Wherever you go, if my heart was a house you'd be home"

No comments:

Post a Comment