7.24.2010

Finding Rewards Where You Least Expect Them.

Today was a great day.

Tonight was unlike most of my normal Friday nights. There were no parties, no alcohol, no dancing. There was music, however. And boxes of rice, soy, dried veggies and chicken flavoring.

Yes, that's right. Tonight, I spent three hours at church making thousands of meal packets for starving kids in Haiti. It was the most fun I've had without margaritas or wine in a long time.

Feed My Starving Children. That is the organization we worked with tonight. They teach you how to package the food properly, then divide you into groups and set you up to pack food for a couple hours. Alongside a little boy, I scooped the rice and soy while he scooped the chicken and veggies. Mom bagged, and another family sealed while my dad packed the finished bags in the boxes to be shipped off to Haiti.

There were some competitive people there tonight, let me tell you. But...our table came in FIRST!!! We had the most boxes packed up. As a church, we packed around 35,000 meals tonight! That is enough food for 98 kids for a FULL YEAR!

It was so nice to do something to give back to the world for once...instead of taking. While it is relatively small in the GRAND scheme of things, I feel good knowing I helped feed a bunch of kids tonight.

On our way out of the packing area, the kitchen prepared samples of the food for us to try. It wasn't bad at all! Tasted like something Uncle Ben would put on the shelves.

Thinking about a mission trip down to Haiti....  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment