7.10.2013

Pat Summitt

Wow.


I'm lying here in bed wiping tears from my eyes. I just watched the ESPN 9 for 9 film on Pat Summitt. What an incredible piece. That film was just what I needed.

Sure I didn't go to Tennessee, but she saw something in me once. I remember going to camp there and having her personally invite me to the next camp where I would play with her players and be coached by her and her staff.

I am TRULY honored to say that Pat Summitt saw something in me. I never went there...instead choosing UConn; a bitter rival. Part of me will always wonder what if.

What if I had waited and given Tennessee and Pat Summitt the chance? At times I regret my choice to attend UConn. But every time I go there I think of what it took to get me where I am. I discovered myself at UConn. I found some of my best friends for life there. I fell in love and experienced heart break. I learned some of life's toughest lessons. But still....I wonder what if sometimes. How different would my life be? Or would it...?

I know in my heart of hearts that Pat probably was the better coach for me. But I was wooed by the charm of another great coach. I think I would have connected better with Pat. Or that she would have given me the chance I deserved.

I am a FIRM believer in EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON. So many things could have gone differently, and who knows if I would have landed where I am now. I am SO happy about where I am. I'm in love with a wonderful person.

The impact that Pat has left on people is uncanny. She is an amazing woman--I have no doubt about that. I wish I would have known her better. I am SO tempted to write her and let her know what her film did for me tonight. I think I have problems??? She has Alzheimer's. My own mother has MS. I am just lazy...

I can't help but feel like that was my downfall in college. Yes, there were plenty of other factors, but I have always lacked mental toughness. I can't help but think that Pat could have taught me something that I know I severely lack sometimes.

It's time to get better. To BE better. No excuses anymore. It will help all areas of my life.

Tonight, I salute you, Pat Summitt. You are the epitome of what not just every woman, but ever person should strive to be.

You are sorely missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment